Monday, May 21, 2012

Ostrich

I sat in the front row of church yesterday. Some people will read that sentence and think "so," while others will feel that their face distort in disgust and ask, "why". I relate mostly to the latter. I'm a middle row person myself. I like to be able to see but not be seen. However, yesterday as I stood in the back of the congregation during worship trying to stake out a middle row spot, I felt a stirring to sit in front. So as the middle school group left the front two rows I headed toward the second row, it was still close to the front, right? Nope. Like a child being led by a parent I felt God firmly whisper in my ear "that spot." So I reluctantly, but obediently, sat and listened as a fellow church member filled in for our vacationing pastor and fully allowed God to speak through him.

I believe it was Steve's plan to talk about Job, but with one verse he was suddenly off talking about an ostrich and the next thing I know he was talking about me in front of the whole church. Not only was he talking about me (which I HATE), but he was talking about one of my biggest internal struggles. Worship has always been a struggle for me, not because I can't get there with God, but because I get so lost in God that I fear distracting others around me from connecting with God.  I feel a deep responsibility to lead others to get closer with God through worship and to not hinder them. I always fear that I will be standing there, fully worshiping with all my heart, and someone will be distracted by the crazy girl dancing and belting it out in the middle row. Or worse, that I will be lost in worship, singing my heart out and irritating the crap out of the person sitting in front of me who is forced to listen to my loud vocals. God knows my heart and here He was calling me and the lie I was believing out. One of the few times that I had just needed to be close to Him so badly I choose to not care who I distracted, I BLESSED someone.

Job 39: 13-18 (The Message)

 13-18 "The ostrich flaps her wings futilely—
   all those beautiful feathers, but useless!
She lays her eggs on the hard ground,
   leaves them there in the dirt, exposed to the weather,
Not caring that they might get stepped on and cracked
   or trampled by some wild animal.
She's negligent with her young, as if they weren't even hers.
   She cares nothing about anything.
She wasn't created very smart, that's for sure,
   wasn't given her share of good sense.
But when she runs, oh, how she runs,
   laughing, leaving horse and rider in the dust.
."


"God looks at an ostrich as says 'the ostrich is stupid and I am pleased with this because I created it to be so. I created her to glorify me when she runs.'" (Steve May)

Steve has no idea of my struggle with worship, nor did he understand how much this tied into his ostrich verse. Here I have been, an ostrich, trying to be smart, trying to be something God did not create me to be and all He wants me to do is laugh and run.

As I sat there yesterday, processing what God was communicating to me, it was almost audible, "you are following Me, but you're not trusting Me!" It was one of those statements I instantly knew was truth and I couldn't even attempt to deny it. I know God's will is what I need to be living in, but I have not been trusting God that He knows my heart and will fulfill all my needs if I follow Him fully. I have not given Him my desires and struggles, but instead clenched them in my fist and I follow Him, believing that He cares more about His ultimate plan then He does for those precious desires clenched close to my heart. What I feel God did yesterday was stop in His tracks, turn around and kneel closely in front of me with His hand gently opened while He said, "show them to Me. Tell Me about them. Let Me hold them. Trust Me!"  With a servant's heart I think it is easy to forget who the biggest servant ever is, Jesus! God wants to serve us! He wants to do little and big things for us! Jesus asks us, "What do you want me to do for you?" (Mark 10:51) and He will do it! So often I forget God created me to glorify Him. He created the desires in my heart and so He wants to help me make them a reality while I serve Him. I don't have to choose following God or the desires of my heart. I get to have both! I don't have to choose between being a mom and using my mind or helping others. I GET TO DO BOTH!  

Jeremiah 29:11-14 (NLT)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. 14 I will be found by you,” says the Lord. “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.”



 

1 comment:

  1. seirra, i've been a member of "the church" since birth (not south lake, or sl2, or even a foursquare church, just, "the church") and i've said to my husband and sister since coming to sl2 last october that i feel like i've NEVER seen people actually worship until this new family at sl2. so WORHIP ON. it's a blessing, not a distraction. all steve's words invoked in me was a desire to NOTICE you worshipping next time instead of being selfishly absorbed in my own private worship. i bet seeing you dance and belt it out will enhance my experience.

    ReplyDelete